Wednesday 21 July 2010

1000th bass on the fly from the shore





With todays light winds high temperatures and dark brooding skys combined with the possibility of thunder I was pipping! We had abandoned any notion of sailing.
I messed around in Cork harbour with Dan an Ruth in the little tender in between heavy showers. Then I went off to meet the tide to a new untried shore location. It was probably one of the greatest bass fishing sessions of my life taking several fish in excess of eight pounds and two greater than ten pounds.

Fish lay in the current chasing giant sandeels to the surface in a boiling frenzy! I took what I estimate as my 1000th bass on the fly during this session.
.
It was a true JULY SESSION as indicated HERE
.
Landing Gear
.
Rod - Redington CPX - 9'0" #8
Reel - Vision XLA - #7/9
Line- Shooting line A.Jensen .25" 30 metres - Sinking shooting head then Intermediate shooting head - 9.30metres the Teeney T350 later in tidal sequence (taking the two bigger fish)
Leader - 10'-0" self built tapered leader - Rio Fluoroflex Plus
Fly - Custom built 9 inch hollow fleye variants from Andy Elliott

Note I - I never attempted to match the hatch once (colour)
Note II - The pollack loved the Steve Farrer flies.
Note III - The speed of retrieve was critical
Note IV - The take was gentle and so subtle at times beyond belief
Note V - The bigger fish took later and as always deeper in the tide

New Website

The beginning AND the end…

Forwarded to - The Irish Bass Policy Group (David McInerny, John Quinlan, Shane O Reilly, Mike Hennessy, Dr William Roche, Dr Nial O'Ma...