Thursday 22 July 2010

It continues......

The fly fishing continued today in a strong Northerly breeze - touching force seven at times. Feeling a lot fresher and considerably brighter didnt seem to affect the fishing to any great extent. I fished a Teeny T400 deep and fast with smaller brighter flatwings - white and chartreuse.

First came several pollack then a quiet period followed by the spiky thugs! The action came thick and fast with several fish running greater than 80 cms's. Then I was hit by a train - the last time I heard the allbright go clink clink clink at such a rate was way back in November in the Bahamas - stripping at least thirty yards of backing and staying deep my heart was racing - then ten yards more and finally, finally surfaced - breaking white water around a massive shaking furious head.

Even holding the fish in the current was a struggle - then he decided to use that tail - what an afternoon - I gained back five then ten - the fish swam upcurrent and took it all back - then swam down current again oh joy - the Redington arced nicely fight him off the butt, fight him off the butt - Dan and Ruth called from the shore 'Is it a big fish Daddeee?' I saw Eileen slip with the camera!

Fish landed, photos made, returned, swam away properly - I smiled - its not often I get my own photo taken with fish - 84cms's. Thanks Eileen.

Landing Gear

Rod - Redington CPX #8
Reel - Orvis Battenkill LA
Line - Jim Teeny T300
Leader - Rio Fluoroflex - 2 meters non tapered 9kgs
Fly - White and Chartreuse Flatwing - size 1/0

See some of the fish taken in the sequence above

New Website

The beginning AND the end…

Forwarded to - The Irish Bass Policy Group (David McInerny, John Quinlan, Shane O Reilly, Mike Hennessy, Dr William Roche, Dr Nial O'Ma...