Qualified – Train the trainer, Advanced Trainer Leave No Trace Principles, Certified group facilitation and first aid.
Would you like to experience and face a new angling challenge? A challenge that will see you develop your fishing instincts and skills further than you ever believed possible, a challenge that will reward you with consequences that may change your life forever. If so then bass and seatrout fishing on the fly in saltwater is for you!
For any person eager to begin fly fishing in saltwater there are often many skills and numerous equipment requirements and choices to be developed and made.
This can prove daunting to the beginner or even the experienced freshwater fly fishermen. It can be very challenging even to contemplate.
My saltwater fly fishing courses are designed to not only help you understand fully the equipment and the required applications, but you will also learn about casting, advanced saltwater fly fishing techniques and watercraft. Why it is important to understand various species their habitats, life cycles and all of the influences.
You will also learn how and where to purchase and use the best equipment. Having completed the courses you will have a comprehensive understanding of this intriguing and fast developing aspect of saltwater sport fishing and all its dynamics. I hope too we can have some fun along the way as we fish in some of the best bass fishing locations this country has to offer.
Please be aware these introductory courses are not for ‘Experts’. I do run Advanced courses on request but this series is designed to make the fly fishing angler feel safe, comfortable and relaxed and to help remove some of the barriers that may exist especially when saltwater fly-fishing.
We will spend a considerable amount of time on the water
There is a comprehensive set of notes supplied and continuous e-mail support after completion of each workshop.
All fly fishing gear is provided should you need it including rods, lines and flies. I can run a bespoke one or two course designed around your needs. The two day course incorporates a half days guiding in some of Wexford’s best locations.
Options exist for both one and two day courses
Two Day Saltwater fly fishing course
Saltwater fly Fishing Workshop Summary DAY ONE
Part One – Day One
Introducing Saltwater Fly-fishing
- An introduction to Bass and seatrout in the salt
- Behavioural patterns of the fish and ‘water craft’ for you
- Discover how to read tides and the effects they have on our fishing.
- Fly Rod types and their applications
- Suitable reels
- The technology of a fly fishing line
- Leaders, loops and lines o How best to stay comfortable and safe when fishing
- A brief look at some flies for both species
- Accessories like the ‘stripping basket’
- Learn to apply your skills to a range of different saltwater fish.
- Catch and respect -
- Short questions and answers session.
Part Two – Day One
- Safety when casting
- The types of rods and their effects on casting
- The fly line profile and its role in casting
- The cast as it unfolds
- Basic efficient casting style for saltwater
- Casting and you—common errors to avoid and positive aspects to enhance
- Making your first cast on grass and later on the water
- Tangible evidence of rod line and leader working together
- Confidence when casting
- Brief intro to various types of cast
- Roll, overhead and single haul.
Saltwater fly Fishing Workshop Summary DAY TWO
Part Three – Day two
Beyond the basics – at the coast
- Various knots their uses and how to tie them
- Places to find fish and how and when to fish them effectively
- Correct decisions regarding fly selection
- Effective retrieves and how to use them
- Casting techniques when conditions are tough
- Casting big flies for big fish with safety in mind
Part Four - Day two – including a guided fishing session
Getting to grips with it and doing it for yourself
- How to improve your casting, fishing skills and knowledge.
- Techniques for big flies and strong winds
- The single and double haul
- Conclusion and summary of previous discussions, the future, you and SWFF.
Costs of workshop with options
Option One - bespoke to your requirements Tea/Coffee on arrival
Saltwater Fly Fishing Workshop
TWO DAY OPTION Including Lunch at The Yard Restaurant and one nights B+B
Total Fee €355.00 for one person - €215.00 for two people (each)
ONE DAY OPTION - bespoke to your requirements One night stay with B+B 100 metres from SEAi HERE Tea/Coffee and light refreshments during your day Saltwater Lure Fishing Workshop
Including Lunch at The Yard Restaurant Total Fee €205.00 per person – group rate available on request – 2 people maximum.