Monday 24 March 2014

What does a bass guide pack in his bag?

Anybody who knows me, knows too of my quest (some say fetish) for the perfect guiding gear pack solution type thing. I think I may have found it. I have a preferred pack for my own personal fishing which is the Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling but for times when I’m guiding I need something a bit roomier.

Thing is, I don’t like being weighed down or having too much gear either, even when I’m guiding. The original contest existed in my mind between the Stealth Atom Sling and the Orvis Safe passage sling pack. Now I’m conscious of course that both of these packs are fly oriented and don’t provide a lure fishing solution as such.

And then along came the Orvis Safe Passage Guide sling pack , which as of today I am now the happy owner of one. Sometimes things just feel right and this is definitely one of those things. Its colour, its weight, its orientation and when I opened the cardboard box today the simple and unique Orvis packaging was already giving me an experience. You can read the specs Guide Sling Packyourself at the link above.

It can easily double as a lure solution as the internal fly holder is simply velcro’d on, the versatility is really cool.

So what is it as a bass fishing guide that you pack for a 4 hour guiding session lets say for Saltwater Fly Fishing with two customers on the shore? It surprised me when I loaded the sling pack today

The Gear

  • First aid kit – full kit at car
  • Kershaw knockout knife
  • Ross Saltwater pliers
  • Waterproof mini binoculars
  • Fishpond pitchfork clippers
  • Stainless forceps
  • Braid scissors
  • Loon reel lube
  • Wader repair kit
  • Zap a Gap
  • Small sun block
  • Extra pair of glasses
  • Phone in ziplok bag
  • Hook sharpener
  • Tape measure
  • Waterproof torch

And then there’s the fishing terminal tackle as such

  • Braided loop connectors
  • Pre-tied leaders both mono and fluoro
  • Tapered saltwater leaders
  • Poly leaders, various
  • Tippet material
  • Two boxes of flies, various types
  • One wallet of flies, various types
  • One spare reel with intermediate running line
  • Optional shooting heads (F, I, Sk)
  • Water bottle
  • IFI scale collection kit

I think that’s about it from a fly point of view, there’s a few more things no doubt that could be added but you have to stop somewhere!

New Website

The beginning AND the end…

Forwarded to - The Irish Bass Policy Group (David McInerny, John Quinlan, Shane O Reilly, Mike Hennessy, Dr William Roche, Dr Nial O'Ma...