Monday 15 February 2010

Thirty two years in perspective

These are three of my four sisters, from left to right Catherine aged 10, Emily aged 8, and Una aged 9. The photo was taken 32 years ago in 1978 at Forlorn point in Kilmore Quay, I was aged 13 at the time. Emily holds my fishing rod a light ten footer from Berkley. Twelve years later commercial fishing for bass was stopped.

Landing Gear -
Reel - Abu Ambassadeur 5500
Rod - Berkley Buccaneer 10 ft
Line - Abu monofilament
Lures - Abu Krill, Abu Toby and Abu Hi-Lo

I fished hundreds and hundreds of summer hours along those rocks and all along the summer coasts. There was never any other spin fisherman in sight. Its where I learned the instinct of bass. 1978 was a good year for me I caught plenty of fish. I got cold and wet and lost a weeks pocket money on a daily basis, then went back and got it at low tide. I didn't do anything else for as long as the holidays lasted.
I know these rocks by heart. I know their shape and colour, and when the wave breaks upon them I know where the fish will be.
I have brought Dan and Ruth here a few times - to this special place and let them find what they look for. I talk to them too about the days I spent here fishing. Dan is ten years old in June. I will make his photograph here this year with a fish. I have already made hundreds with international customers.

Twenty years with the opportunity to develop this fishery have gone to waste, twenty years of protection, and as the species slowly recovered somewhat, what have we done to maintain its protection and future as a recreational sustainable and economic opportunity ? It could be one of the greatest saltwater fisheries in Europe? We have stood idly by, and now at the first signs of recovery we face into the abyss of the possible destruction not only of the fish but of what thirty years of visitors, businesses, services, enjoyment, happiness and hard work have meant to thousands of people.

Remind me again for what and for whom and what ultimately will the real impact be? Its simple really, given the nature of the industry it will be destroyed in a short space of time.

I have fished bass for the last 38 years here in Wexford - the last seven professionally - I have a valid perspective and sense of the species. I have seen its destruction its slow and partial recovery, its exploitation - its part of my life - always has been and always will be. If you are reading this blog I'm sure bass fishing has also been part of yours - do what you can.

Its worth thinking about the future..................!

New Website

The beginning AND the end…

Forwarded to - The Irish Bass Policy Group (David McInerny, John Quinlan, Shane O Reilly, Mike Hennessy, Dr William Roche, Dr Nial O'Ma...